Skip to main content

Being @ Chennai

I have been meaning to write this blog for a while now but somehow got caught into a series of events. Anyways, about a month ago one of my roomies, Swati left for her hometown for good. Over dinner, a common friend of ours who has been struggling to get a transfer out of Chennai, congratulated her and jokingly said “Tere paap dhul gaye aur tu Chennai se ja rahi hai” meaning that your sins have got erased and so you are leaving Chennai. We all laughed at this statement, but I quietly wondered if Chennai is really that bad. I distinctly remember how scandalized my friends were I broke the news that I had got my posting in Chennai. Some of them actually told me that I was out of my mind that I agreed to go to Chennai. Most of their concerns were actually revolved around the fact that after living all my life in a city like Mumbai, it would be exceedingly unimaginable to stay in Chennai and suspected that the place and its culture would be harsh on me. Honestly, in a way it scared me a bit & was equally skeptical. But yet I was excited to live on my own and that too in a different city, that I went ahead with moving to Chennai. Now once in Chennai, after about 5 odd months here, I can safely say that I am actually having a good time here and there are zero regrets about my decision to move here. This place is probably diametrically opposite to Mumbai, but I guess that is the beauty of living in different cities in India, where each city has its own distinct flavor. There are many people who will totally disagree with my views on Chennai and may also think that I am out of my mind. I feel they may be right only for the former part of the previous sentence, as living in Chennai comes with a baggage like language problems, the horrible rickshaws, and an absolutely dead night life. But on the good side of it, its place very safe for girl to stay alone in, has some very good food joints and no am not talking about south Indian food here. Now, isn’t that the story of every city,even say for a city like Bombay oops, I mean Mumbai, which has its own set of plusses and minuses to live in? The truth is, that it’s not the place but the people there who make the place for you. Honestly had I not met the friends I have here, my amazingly awesome 4 and half roomies, my brilliant yet totally crazy colleagues, Chennai wouldn’t have been what I perceive it be now. I cannot imagine how my life would have been had it not been for my really fun loving, super chilled, non-hassled and extremely sweet roomies, who actually make each other feel so at home that at the end of day you feel happy returning back. Then colleagues, I spend almost 80 % of my life in there, no matter how stressful, you know after a coffee break you will be all rejuvenated, where there is someone to talk gibberish, someone to play silly jokes on, some intellectual bunch for some heated group discussions, some whose collection of sad P.Js never gets exhausted, a girl gang to have your girlie talks with and where we all fight like kids to get a biggest share in sweets, chocolates and everything and anything that can be eaten.
So about a few ago when I came across a survey listing worst cities in the world to live in, I was so surprised to find the only Indian entry was Chennai and boy oh boy, I was mighty infuriated. May be the expats who conducted the survey should see the city through my friends and the people I am spending time here with and then check if they still feel the same about the city. As after all, I feel the house will stay a house but when filled with the right people, it becomes a home!!

Comments

  1. boy oh boy! chennaites should fall at your feet!! you made their day!! on our backs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh by the way.. im flattered :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahhaa...thanks shibi..i love flatterin juss...juss like hw u like to flatter me ....

    feet n all, yaar not happening...if they feel so grateful then least they cud do is get the ricks here to use the meters ....whts say ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well...cudnt have agreed more with u meetali..
    i can say dat after havin livd thre fr an year..it's a city dat grows on u...u go there with least expectations..nd u leave d place with memories to cherish..
    abt d night life bein sad..yes i did crib abt it when i was there..bt like u said..if u hav d right company..nothin really is sad...no night spent at any pf d pubs in delhi or mumbai can beat d nights dat we spent at the beach..or d 1s at d CCD inside the IIT chennai campus...
    abt d rickshaw guys..well talkin to them in broken english and leveraging whatever words of Tamil we had learnt was an experience in itself.. "Okay anna" "Ille Anna"
    :D

    well..some of my "Madrasi" friends might b surpsised to read such comments of mine but herez wat i have to say abt d city and my wonderful "Madrasi" friends... Chennai Rocks guys!!! :) and so do YOU guys...

    ReplyDelete
  5. YO MAN !! u all have said it absolutely rite..
    Had an amazing time with u guys in Chennai.. in short - "cudnt have been better". The city which shaped up and solidified my belief that its not just the city u live in, but the company you live with which really matters. I shall never forget how Shibi and I used to discuss about getting lucky for having found an awesome appartment and equally fundoo roomies. LOVE U ALL :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food for the Gods – Chappan Bhog and more

Eateratti this time is going to give you a peek-view into the food that was meant for Gods.For the first time in my life, I witnessed the scale of spiritual dimension of food up-close. As a part of the Deewali Festivities (one of the most important Hindu Festivals), Annakoot Utsav was celebrated with opulence by my in-laws. Annakoot literally means a mountain of food, where at least 56 different varieties or ‘chappan bhog’ is prepared and offer it to Lord Krishna. I had seen this, once at the Iskcon Temple, but this one was celebrated at home!! Finishing touches to the offering being added by Mom-in law The idea is to invite Lord Krishna or Thakurji in to our homes & offer him gratitude in the form of food, for everything that he has been blessing us with. Therefore, every single item that’s offered to Lord Krishna or Thakurji is hand-made at home for which, weeks of preparation was devotedly put in by my mom-in law, her sister-in law my Aunt Sonal Kaki and their mother –in law who

To TIP or not to TIP

As a kid every time I accompanied my dad to good old humble restaurants, I would linger behind a few seconds till he left the table, to quickly grab the coins that he would place in the sauf bowl (I thought he forgot the money & once when I reminded him, all he said was ‘that’s ok’, so I ensured his money was safe with me, you see). So this assured source of income for my piggy bank continued, till the day he caught me picking the coins (damn my timing!!).That’s when he introduced me to the concept of tipping, that we should leave behind some money for the waiters who served us. However, the last couple of years, our bills have seen a 5 to 12 per cent ‘service charge’ added to it, leaving us confused with the question ‘to tip or not to tip’. Some say its goes to the Government and some say it doesn’t. So here in my next blog, I decided to decode the mystery of the Service Charge for you. Your bill will predominantly contain VAT and service tax (which is applicable to restaurants ha

Benjarong, TTK Road, Chennai

During my stay in Chennai, my friend Sandhya took me to this Thai joint one evening post work. I was skeptical about trying Thai food at Chennai, and therefore kept my expectations under check. However, I was proved completely wrong as here is where I landed up having the best 'Indian' Thai food. Well, I have yet to visit Thailand, to taste the authentic Thai food, as I believe that the taste is customized to the countries local taste, but amongst the Indian joints, this one is one of the best I have had. A simple and extremely classy place, with wood that decor renders a very warm and cozy feeling. For the crowd mostly you’ll see a lot of corporates and few families as I doubt if Chennai folks have still awakened to this amazing place. The main attraction I found in this place is the complementary starter called Mein Khum, hopefully have got the name right. They serve you a leaf, which I am not so sure what it is, but its shaped like a beetle leaf, on that need to put little h