Skip to main content

Validating Love!!!





Last time Imtiaz Ali made a movie called Jab We Met, it entered my MBA class as a case study for memetics. Before starting the case study, my professor told us that he selected this movie as a case for memetics cause it’s a movie that has been watched and re-watched ‘n’ number of times by most people in the class, making it easier for a majority to pick minute nuances from the movie. In short, that was the kind of impact that J.W.M had, and personally for me, it’s an all time favourite and can watch it any number of times. That movie simply makes me very happy.
So naturally just like many others I too eagerly waited for Imtiaz’s next movie to release, which after weeks of its release, I finally finally managed to watch it. Now, as far as Love Aaj Kal is concerned, I liked the way the story-telling was done and the excellent grip that the movie had on its screenplay. What was also refreshing was the bluntness the dialogues had. ‘Less is more’ concept was put to use effectively, where in very few words or sometimes no words a lot was said. However, for me this was strictly a one time watch movie.
I was told by many people not to compare Jab We Met with this movie, which I very dutifully did. But after I was done, I couldn’t help but find a common link in J.W.M, L.A.K and as a matter of fact host of other movies .This as I would to call it, is validating love. Now I shall take L.A.K as an example to explain what the whole concept of validating love according to me is. Here, we had Jai and Meera, a modern day couple who dated each other and broke up for all practical reasons, as for them long distance didn’t make sense. Even after their break up they continued to be friends or whatever one may want to call that, with each despite the distance that they were so concerned about. Now lets focus on Meera, she eventually starts dating this too-good to be true type fellow and seems to be happy with until at a certain point in her life she realizes that, oops, I don’t love him at all and in fact love my ex and have always loved him!!! Wow, so her happy realization happens when she is with another guy. Now, moving to JWM, remember the bubbly Geet, isn’t her story the same, when even though she was so head over heals love with Anushuman that our hero comfortably walks into her life only to make her realize that she didn’t actually love Anushuman but loved him.
I am therefore left wondering if love needed validation in real life as against what is constantly sold as a hit concept not just by JWM and LAK but generations of movies. Now since this concept sells and works with the audiences, therefore it may imply that somewhere we relate to it or wish for it. So for a moment lets just imagine that this concept was for real, so how would it work. We are with someone, whom we are ‘supposedly’ in love and you may still want to check that if this is the love of your life so you keep your antennas ticking to validate its reality. This according to me this is totally disgusting and just reminds me how I buy shoes. Ya ya, you read it right, shoes as an example for love, but actually buying a good pair of shoe is like running all rules of validations. After having scanned the entire shop, you get your final shortlists of pairs. You can put one shoe belonging to each pair on one foot each, see which one looks good, feels comfortable, etc etc etc and then pick up the one you like most. So coming back to Geet, only when she spent time with apna hero that she realises that she never loved her boy friend. Ditto was the case with Meera, who according to me is much slower than Geet, as she marries the wrong guy and then realizes comfortably on her wedding day, that she still loved her ex-boyfriend. But I feel that shoe shopping is better, as, if you can’t decide which of the 2 final short listed shoe is better, you can walk away with both, which in case of love, we may not want to do.
But I don’t really think in matters of heart, it is so simple and certain concepts are to be kept reserved for movies alone. This entire concept of validating love just seems very unreal to me But I really wonder what the ‘Mango’ people feels about it. Is validating love for real or simply a ‘reel’ concept? Does it happen to the ‘mango’ people.

Comments

  1. small correction Meera is very very slow in validating it. she realises that she loves Jay in her honeymoon that too in a beautiful location like scotland

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as JWM and LAK are concerned I loved both the movies and they feature in personal favourites. I feel Validating Love is a concept for reel and may be a westernized concept too, but if you look from an Indian perspective then you would find less of meera's. There would be many Geet's as you will find a lot of mango people who break or change relationships before they finally settle onto one. Concept from the movie perspective is good though i felt the primary purpose of the movie was not validating love.

    As far as my opinion is concerned we validate the person and not love. When we get a hint about the person to be in Love with we validate him/her on a lot of factors and also on our past experiences. We want to make sure that we don't repeat the mistake of choosing the wrong person again. I feel you need to fail first to rise in Love, after all that is called experience isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice write up lady...
    but i kinda disagree with u...
    m not inspired by ny of these movies..
    but i think all of us, d mango people dat is, do validate love at some stage of our love lives...not necessarily when we find sm1 else, but may be when we'v just strtd and we r not sure whether we'v chosen d right person, or may be after bein into the relation for years when priorities start changing...
    hw people deal with such situations varies with people...

    ReplyDelete
  4. rather than validating love, i feel its a matter of recognizing love. in the movies, the actors realize a tad bit late that the r actually in love with someone, the only difference in reel life being tht in the end, it actually works out fine. In real life, one chance is all that a person might get.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food for the Gods – Chappan Bhog and more

Eateratti this time is going to give you a peek-view into the food that was meant for Gods.For the first time in my life, I witnessed the scale of spiritual dimension of food up-close. As a part of the Deewali Festivities (one of the most important Hindu Festivals), Annakoot Utsav was celebrated with opulence by my in-laws. Annakoot literally means a mountain of food, where at least 56 different varieties or ‘chappan bhog’ is prepared and offer it to Lord Krishna. I had seen this, once at the Iskcon Temple, but this one was celebrated at home!! Finishing touches to the offering being added by Mom-in law The idea is to invite Lord Krishna or Thakurji in to our homes & offer him gratitude in the form of food, for everything that he has been blessing us with. Therefore, every single item that’s offered to Lord Krishna or Thakurji is hand-made at home for which, weeks of preparation was devotedly put in by my mom-in law, her sister-in law my Aunt Sonal Kaki and their mother –in law who

To TIP or not to TIP

As a kid every time I accompanied my dad to good old humble restaurants, I would linger behind a few seconds till he left the table, to quickly grab the coins that he would place in the sauf bowl (I thought he forgot the money & once when I reminded him, all he said was ‘that’s ok’, so I ensured his money was safe with me, you see). So this assured source of income for my piggy bank continued, till the day he caught me picking the coins (damn my timing!!).That’s when he introduced me to the concept of tipping, that we should leave behind some money for the waiters who served us. However, the last couple of years, our bills have seen a 5 to 12 per cent ‘service charge’ added to it, leaving us confused with the question ‘to tip or not to tip’. Some say its goes to the Government and some say it doesn’t. So here in my next blog, I decided to decode the mystery of the Service Charge for you. Your bill will predominantly contain VAT and service tax (which is applicable to restaurants ha

Benjarong, TTK Road, Chennai

During my stay in Chennai, my friend Sandhya took me to this Thai joint one evening post work. I was skeptical about trying Thai food at Chennai, and therefore kept my expectations under check. However, I was proved completely wrong as here is where I landed up having the best 'Indian' Thai food. Well, I have yet to visit Thailand, to taste the authentic Thai food, as I believe that the taste is customized to the countries local taste, but amongst the Indian joints, this one is one of the best I have had. A simple and extremely classy place, with wood that decor renders a very warm and cozy feeling. For the crowd mostly you’ll see a lot of corporates and few families as I doubt if Chennai folks have still awakened to this amazing place. The main attraction I found in this place is the complementary starter called Mein Khum, hopefully have got the name right. They serve you a leaf, which I am not so sure what it is, but its shaped like a beetle leaf, on that need to put little h