Skip to main content

The Palace Of Illusions


A while ago I finished reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni’s “The Palace Of Illusions” which I had stumbled upon when casually browsing a bookstore at the airport. The book presents a women’s perspective of the Mahabharata, by narrating the epic by none other than Draupadi, who was hugely held responsible for the war taking place. Personally for me, Mahabharata has always evoked a deep level of excitement. If I were to simply put it, it’s a lethal combination of drama, upscale levels of politics, games played in pursuit of power & love, with the oomph added by brawny men.


However, predominantly Mahabharata is more about the men, their aspirations, lives & ambitions that sometimes scale beyond power. It has etched out some great heroes like Bheesma, Drona, Krishna, Arjun, Karna and the list goes on. So unless the author consciously chooses, the women in this epic will not be presented as central protagonist. So in that aspect, I liked the book and a refreshing narrative, revolving around Draupadi in the first person. The book takes one all the way through the epic, as witnessed by Draupadi, her journey of life, starting with her mysterious birth, her immense love for her brother, her bond with Krishna in whom she sees a friend,confidant and guide, her baffling marriage, her relationships with her husbands and mother –in law, her share of comforts & miseries all culminating into strong resentment that she unfailingly nurtures in her heart, which can be calmed only with the war. Draupadi’s portrayal is in contrast to the passive, docile & submissive image of the women of those times. She was a black beauty, who had a mind of her own & spoke for it at every given opportunity. If opportunity ceased to exist, then she would work her way around to create one, she knew how to utilize the power of love and eventually becomes the binding thread amongst all her husbands. However, she came with her set of flaws as well, her infamous temper, supreme impatience & agitation and fearlessness. Yet, most importantly she knew her limitations of being a women of that era, accepted various customs, like her husband’s other wives, the hardships thrown their way, death of all her children in the war & finally her own death. But what I liked the most in her character was, that never settled for acceptance without challenging & questioning the ground rules which the society placed on her as a women.
Few mentions in the book were revelations for me and I am not so sure if these are facts or pieces of the author’s imagination, but nevertheless I was surprised on reading them.
· 1. Top of the list is Draupadi & Karna’s love for each. I never heard of this one, till I came across this twisted forbidden love story in this book. So here is in short what the book said, before the Swayamwar Draupadi was shown the paintings of the various suitors and that’s when she sees Karna for the first time and upon knowing his story, feels drawn towards him. Right then as if reading her mind, Krishna immediate issues her a warning, that she under no circumstances will marry him, as he was cursed to doom. During her marriage, she verbally refused to marry Karna, thereby insulting him, but from that moment on she was in love with him and continues to secretly harbor those feeling till the very end. Karna too harbored similar feelings for her, which he kept strictly under check, knowing she was the wife of the lone man he hated, Arjuna. Such was the case of forbidden love which has a happy end, when after her death she goes to him, knowing that now nothing can prohibit them from loving each other!!!

So I wonder, what must have been the real reason that Krishna stopped Draupadi from marrying Karna. Think of it, had she not married Arjun that day and instead married Karna, a strong link paving way for the war might have been missing, thereby creating a tiny possibility that the Mahabharata wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

· 2. Apparently, during her younger days, Draupadi was cautioned by Vyasa himself, against committing 3 mistakes that could avert series of events leading the Great War. One being not raising a specific question during her marriage, which she does by questioning Karna on family name; two, controlling her words when her husbands are at the peak of glory, which she does by mocking Duryodhana on his father’s blindness; and the third, avoiding cursing when she faces the greatest humiliation of her lifetime, which again she does when she is disrobed. I wonder if the warnings were for real or merely a foundation for a stirring plot. What if she would have actually obeyed the warnings.

· 3. Next, when I began reading, I wondered how the author would depict the war scenes, since the narrative of the book is in first person. So it turns out that, Draupadi was given a special vision to view the war as it happens. Again, I wonder if this was for real or a figment of author’s imagination, as the only other person granted with this vision I guess was Vidhur, so that he could narrate the war to the blind King Dhritarashtra

I have yet to completely watch B.R. Chopra’s televised version of the Mahabharata, however after seeing a couple of episodes, I feel he has done a good job recreating the epic, but the real impact of the story has been diluted courtesy incomprehensible Hindi, gaudy clothes & tacky sets. About a decade ago, upon a friend’s recommendation I picked up the Mahabharata to read it and I vividly remember being on self-imposed house arrest till it finished the book. So if you haven’t read it as yet, you are missing on some real good reading. But a quick mention here would be, please don’t pick this book up with the objective of reading the Mahabharata, as it’s almost like a condensed version of the original, where a lot of sub-plots have been just mentioned as a passé.


Happy Reading
Meetali

Comments

  1. Hey Meetali..
    good to see a blog from you after a while...
    Good synopsis of the book.
    A book describing Draupadi's persppective, experiences and feelings sounds really interesting.
    But to your point on those revelations, I really don't believe in the occurrence of the events described in any of the epics (not denying the existence of God by any means). I feel the epics are just books written by humans ages ago, and have been inferred by generations as real events.
    And different authors have written their versions of these stories. Some translated them to vernacular languages and tweaked the stories a bit. Unlike Bollywood's adaptations of Tollywood ;)
    Similarly, i won't be surprised if this author may have added a couple of twists in the tale like the love story between Draupadi and Karana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kanoo..thanks buddy..yeh it feels good to be back on the blog world..hopefully this time will be more active..I totally agree with you that these epic dramas especially the Mahabharata is mostly imagination and since its running down so many generations, you never know wht amount of man-made twists might have been added...but yet its enjoyable as its drama all over and therefore entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh and between you may want to check www.eateratti.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food for the Gods – Chappan Bhog and more

Eateratti this time is going to give you a peek-view into the food that was meant for Gods.For the first time in my life, I witnessed the scale of spiritual dimension of food up-close. As a part of the Deewali Festivities (one of the most important Hindu Festivals), Annakoot Utsav was celebrated with opulence by my in-laws. Annakoot literally means a mountain of food, where at least 56 different varieties or ‘chappan bhog’ is prepared and offer it to Lord Krishna. I had seen this, once at the Iskcon Temple, but this one was celebrated at home!! Finishing touches to the offering being added by Mom-in law The idea is to invite Lord Krishna or Thakurji in to our homes & offer him gratitude in the form of food, for everything that he has been blessing us with. Therefore, every single item that’s offered to Lord Krishna or Thakurji is hand-made at home for which, weeks of preparation was devotedly put in by my mom-in law, her sister-in law my Aunt Sonal Kaki and their mother –in law who

To TIP or not to TIP

As a kid every time I accompanied my dad to good old humble restaurants, I would linger behind a few seconds till he left the table, to quickly grab the coins that he would place in the sauf bowl (I thought he forgot the money & once when I reminded him, all he said was ‘that’s ok’, so I ensured his money was safe with me, you see). So this assured source of income for my piggy bank continued, till the day he caught me picking the coins (damn my timing!!).That’s when he introduced me to the concept of tipping, that we should leave behind some money for the waiters who served us. However, the last couple of years, our bills have seen a 5 to 12 per cent ‘service charge’ added to it, leaving us confused with the question ‘to tip or not to tip’. Some say its goes to the Government and some say it doesn’t. So here in my next blog, I decided to decode the mystery of the Service Charge for you. Your bill will predominantly contain VAT and service tax (which is applicable to restaurants ha

Benjarong, TTK Road, Chennai

During my stay in Chennai, my friend Sandhya took me to this Thai joint one evening post work. I was skeptical about trying Thai food at Chennai, and therefore kept my expectations under check. However, I was proved completely wrong as here is where I landed up having the best 'Indian' Thai food. Well, I have yet to visit Thailand, to taste the authentic Thai food, as I believe that the taste is customized to the countries local taste, but amongst the Indian joints, this one is one of the best I have had. A simple and extremely classy place, with wood that decor renders a very warm and cozy feeling. For the crowd mostly you’ll see a lot of corporates and few families as I doubt if Chennai folks have still awakened to this amazing place. The main attraction I found in this place is the complementary starter called Mein Khum, hopefully have got the name right. They serve you a leaf, which I am not so sure what it is, but its shaped like a beetle leaf, on that need to put little h