Skip to main content

Ramayana - The Game of Life: Rise of the Sun Prince





If there is a thing called being a ‘Mahabharata Person’ then that would be me. What I mean is, that I have read the Mahabharata a couple of times written by various authors. Till date the one written by C Rajagopalachari is one of the best books that I have read. However for a long time, I have been wanting to read the Ramayana, but never made an attempt to do so, until I came across this book. The first of this six-volume series, Rise of the Sun Prince, takes you through the divine story of Lord Rama from his birth up to his marriage. For generations we have been passed lessons of life via stories and mythology, where its purely upto the recipient how to interpret the underlying message or just absorb it as entertainment. Each of these stories have intricate layers embedded therefore spinning out multiple interpretations and one of those is what author Shubha Vilas has used while retelling the Ramayana.

What I love about the book is that because it is split into multiple books, the narrative can include various sub-plots and parallel stories. For example in the beginning the book spoke about the transformation of the great muni Valmiki and how he was chosen to write the Ramayana. Similarly a considerable time in the book was spent on Vishwamitra and his journey towards attaining power or enlightenment.The core of this book focuses of Lord Rama birth and why Lord Vishnu had to incarnate as human. His childhood and adolescent years which he spent under Vishwamitra and their journey to various lands, rivers etc till they reach the point of his marriage to Sita.

Now, for a person who hasn’t read the Ramayana at all, I was not completely happy because the speed breakers introduced in the form of Foot Notes. The Foot Notes confused the purpose of the book. There are sections where I feel the foot notes (which are almost a page long!!) make it appear like a self-help book, and some places it gave additional information which could have been a part of the core story itself. It’s a big distraction from the core story especially for new readers like me who want to what happen next. May be the seasoned Ramayana readers might find it fascinating but not me! What I am now looking forward hopefully in the coming editions is some light of Ravana’s story which was introduced briefly in this book along with the action packed drama.
This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food for the Gods – Chappan Bhog and more

Eateratti this time is going to give you a peek-view into the food that was meant for Gods.For the first time in my life, I witnessed the scale of spiritual dimension of food up-close. As a part of the Deewali Festivities (one of the most important Hindu Festivals), Annakoot Utsav was celebrated with opulence by my in-laws. Annakoot literally means a mountain of food, where at least 56 different varieties or ‘chappan bhog’ is prepared and offer it to Lord Krishna. I had seen this, once at the Iskcon Temple, but this one was celebrated at home!! Finishing touches to the offering being added by Mom-in law The idea is to invite Lord Krishna or Thakurji in to our homes & offer him gratitude in the form of food, for everything that he has been blessing us with. Therefore, every single item that’s offered to Lord Krishna or Thakurji is hand-made at home for which, weeks of preparation was devotedly put in by my mom-in law, her sister-in law my Aunt Sonal Kaki and their mother –in law who

To TIP or not to TIP

As a kid every time I accompanied my dad to good old humble restaurants, I would linger behind a few seconds till he left the table, to quickly grab the coins that he would place in the sauf bowl (I thought he forgot the money & once when I reminded him, all he said was ‘that’s ok’, so I ensured his money was safe with me, you see). So this assured source of income for my piggy bank continued, till the day he caught me picking the coins (damn my timing!!).That’s when he introduced me to the concept of tipping, that we should leave behind some money for the waiters who served us. However, the last couple of years, our bills have seen a 5 to 12 per cent ‘service charge’ added to it, leaving us confused with the question ‘to tip or not to tip’. Some say its goes to the Government and some say it doesn’t. So here in my next blog, I decided to decode the mystery of the Service Charge for you. Your bill will predominantly contain VAT and service tax (which is applicable to restaurants ha

Benjarong, TTK Road, Chennai

During my stay in Chennai, my friend Sandhya took me to this Thai joint one evening post work. I was skeptical about trying Thai food at Chennai, and therefore kept my expectations under check. However, I was proved completely wrong as here is where I landed up having the best 'Indian' Thai food. Well, I have yet to visit Thailand, to taste the authentic Thai food, as I believe that the taste is customized to the countries local taste, but amongst the Indian joints, this one is one of the best I have had. A simple and extremely classy place, with wood that decor renders a very warm and cozy feeling. For the crowd mostly you’ll see a lot of corporates and few families as I doubt if Chennai folks have still awakened to this amazing place. The main attraction I found in this place is the complementary starter called Mein Khum, hopefully have got the name right. They serve you a leaf, which I am not so sure what it is, but its shaped like a beetle leaf, on that need to put little h